“Photoshop” has become one of the most talked about areas in the blogging world. There are numerous tutorials put forth by bloggers with the intention of making this powerful tool accessible and comprehendible to people from all walks of life. Photoshop has made it possible to create stunningly clear and pristine images even if the original photograph does not come out as expected by the photographer. It has very powerful tools in it’s armory that can be used in various effective ways to make retouching look very natural and result in a spectacular image.
In case of facial retouching, Photoshop is the most widely used software. By following these simple steps while retouching facial images, we can get amazing pictures that have great depth of color, emotion and clarity.
- The initial steps involve creating a duplicate layer on which all the correction work needs to be done. Then making use of the Clone Stamp Tool and Healing Brush Tool, it is important to eliminate all the spots and blemishes on the face in order to clear and smooth the skin and prepare it for brushing. Always keep in mind to use a soft brush while performing this step.
- Facial features look sharper and attractive when they are in symmetry. So, if you are dealing with a sideways looking picture, you can perform a minor “plastic surgery” to raise the area around the eyebrow a little. Again, duplicate the layer and make use of a Forward Wrap Tool which is found in the liquefy gallery (Filter-Liquefy). This helps to bring the lines that run across the face to look more symmetrical and thus make the image more attractive.
- Once the skin is smoothed out and image is made symmetrical, we can work on areas such as contrast and brightness. Once you duplicate the layer, you can choose Filter-Blur-Gaussian Blur with a pixel width of 3-5 to create a soft light effect while maintaining the sharpness. Then using a soft brush and a 30%-50% opacity you need to start brushing around areas such as nose, eyes, hair, cheeks etc.. in order to enhance color.
- The next major step involved is airbrushing. This is a very complicated process and it is essential to determine how much level of airbrushing is required before starting the process. Make use of a soft brush and a low opacity ( 10-20%) and select an area which has clear skin tone. Then brush it over the imperfect areas to clear out the area. The other facial attributes such as lips and eyes can also be tweaked using the same process.
- Once all the adjustments have been made, the next step is to apply all these adjustment layers to bring the final picture to life. These minor changes in contrast and facial features add a significant difference to the image and enrich the colors. These adjustment layers make the eyes and lips pop out.
Whether you are an amateur or a seasoned photographer, making use of these simple tools from Photoshop will definitely help you create a dazzling image that is worthy of appreciation!